Common Mosquito-Borne Diseases and Their Prevention
Mosquitoes are vectors for many diseases, some of which can cause permanent damage or even death. These diseases are spread amongst the population when a mosquito bites an infected person. The mosquito is not affected by the virus but can carry and cause several infectious diseases to humans. Some of the most common conditions are:
Four different parasites cause Malaria in humans. Out of all four, P. Falciparum causes the most severe infection and is also the deadliest. Spread primarily through the female mosquito. It also transmits through blood transfusions, needle-sharing, or from the mother to the baby during pregnancy.
Symptoms of Malaria
A person with Malaria will typically exhibit flu-like symptoms in its initial stages. These symptoms include:
- Increased body temperature (fever)
- Fatigue and muscle ache
- Vomiting and diarrhea
- Headaches and lack of energy
- Chills accompanied by abdominal pain.
Another common mosquito-borne illness, Dengue, is caused by the same mosquitoes that act as vectors to other diseases such as Yellow fever and Zika virus. Dengue, like Malaria, can cause severe symptoms in some cases, which sometimes can result in death.
Dengue can be tricky because it can sometimes be asymptomatic and sometimes so severe that it leads to organ failure. There are four main types of serotypes of Dengue named DENV-1, DENV-2, DENV-3, and DENV-4. It is also known to cause flu-like symptoms such as:
Symptoms of Dengue
- Severe headache, accompanied by pain behind the eyes.
- Muscle and joint ache
- Nausea and vomiting
- Appearance of rashes
- Swollen glands
West Nile Virus
West Nile Virus’s primary mode of transmission is through mosquito bites. Like the other mosquito-borne illnesses, West Nike Virus can lead to death if the symptoms are severe enough. Most people infected with the virus do not exhibit any symptoms; however, those that do commonly suffer from:
Symptoms of West Nile Virus
- Vomiting and Diarrhea
- Fatigue and weakness that can last weeks
Now that we have discussed the common types of Mosquito-borne illnesses and their symptoms, let’s move on to preventing them.
Preventing Mosquito-borne diseases
All the diseases can be taken care of with consideration by taking the right preventive measures. Even if the mosquitoes in your house do not carry any dangerous viruses, they can still be a menace for the whole family. From leaving itchy bite marks to continually buzzing in your ears, dealing with mosquitoes can be a menace.
We have compiled a few methods that can keep you protected against these diseases:
The first few methods will be about how you can protect yourself against the mosquitoes:
- Wear full-length pants and full-sleeved shirts during humid weather to prevent mosquito bites outside.
- Always ensure you are wearing a mosquito-repelling lotion or ointment.
- Try avoiding going outdoors during days when the cases are high.
- Ensure there are no water-filled containers in or around your house, as these water-bodies are the breeding ground for mosquitoes.
- Limit traveling to countries or areas where these mosquitoes are prevalent.
Although pretty basic, these precautions every day, even while inside your house, tend to get tedious and might not prevent the diseases 100%. However, that does not mean that there is no way to fix the mosquito problem in your house.
Your best bet against these diseases is controlling the mosquito population inside your home. A better course of action is nipping the whole thing in the butt before they even get an opportunity to spread. You can do this by:
- Use mosquito sprays at your premises.
- Setting up mosquito traps around the house that kill any new mosquitoes before they get a chance to lay eggs.
- Fog your whole outside residence, killing any mosquito and their larvae.
Knockout Mosquito Systems is the leading mosquito control team based in Atlanta, GA. We have got everything you might need to control and prevent mosquitoes from spreading in and around your residence. Our mosquito misting system uses completely safe compounds for you and your family. It works within minutes to eliminate the mosquito population in and around your home.
Contact us now to keep your family safe by getting rid of mosquitoes for good!