What Conditions Attract Mosquitos The Most?
Summer is the time when everyone gets to enjoy themselves in Atlanta, GA, and the surrounding areas. Whether it is the kids playing games in the yard or the entire family spending time outdoors relaxing and enjoying the sun, there are endless opportunities for great outdoor family time.
However, it is also that time of the year when mosquitos are most active. The conditions are mostly warm and humid and mosquitos dawn upon your yard and outdoors from all over the place. However, you are unable to find the breeding areas where they are multiplying. It is important to take measures for mosquito control in Atlanta GA to keep your family and pets safe from these pests.
What are the conditions that attract mosquitos? If you know these conditions, it will become easier to use the right mosquito spray for yard. This guide provides you valuable insights into the kind of breeding areas these insects prefer and what attracts them to humans.
Common Mosquito Breeding Grounds
Standing water, clogged drains and gutters, yard debris, and water for pets and birds are common breeding grounds for mosquitos. Before you take any mosquito control measures, it is important to know how these conditions attract these insects.
It is well known that stagnant water is the most commonplace for a mosquito to breed. However, most people don’t know that it doesn’t require much water. Interestingly, a bottle cap of water is also enough for several mosquitos to lay their eggs. Some of the common things in your home that attract these insects include:
- Trashcan lids
- Grill covers
- Flower pots
- Discarded cups
It can be a difficult job to remove all sorts of standing water from around your property. A simpler way can be to drill holes at the bottom of these items to prevent rainwater from standing.
Clogged Drains & Gutters
A good number of homes don’t have their drains and gutters properly cleared and maintained during the summer. Leaves and vegetation can get clog gutters, drains, and drainage pipes, creating the perfect environment for mosquitos to thrive. It can not only create perfect grounds for laying eggs, but also for the insects to hide.
Mosquitos will typically find refuge in any debris laying around a yard. This is important for them because they can easily be disturbed and displaced by the wind. So, a good measure for mosquito control in Atlanta GA is to avoid leaves, branches, and sticks from piling up in your yard. Bushes and overgrown areas also provide these insects protection from wind. Even tall grass can provide shelter to them. You should remove the following types of debris from your lawn or yard:
- Thick vegetation
- Grass clippings
- Compost piles
- Raked leaves
Removing debris from around your home can also help make the place look more beautiful.
Water for Animals & Birds
Summer months can be too hot for birds and animals. Water bowls can create a mosquito problem for you. Instead of drilling a hole at the bottom, it is recommended to manage the placement of the bowls for mosquito control. Avoid leaving the water bowls outside for long durations.
Attraction to Humans
While creating a plan for mosquito spray for the yard in Atlanta GA, it is important to realize that these insects are not attracted to everyone at random. They tend to be more attracted to specific humans based on certain conditions. If your body generates more heat, these insects will be drawn to you.
Mosquitos have thermal sensory systems that draw them to warm-blooded animals. People who have higher body temperatures are easier targets. Some of the common examples of such people include:
- Pregnant women
- People who are overweight
The knowledge of what attracts these insects can help you create more effective solutions for mosquito control. Here are the key factors that you should know about:
- Sweat: These insects reproduce in water. This makes them naturally get drawn to any surface with high moisture content. This is why mosquitos are readily attracted to sweat.
- Scents & Perfumes: All forms of fragrances attract them. They are even more attracted to floral scents.
- Dark Colors: Since mosquitos are readily drawn to dark colors, wearing dark clothing is an easy invitation. These insects rely on their vision to mark humans wearing dark clothing.
- High Salt & Potassium in Blood: It is recommended to take lesser amounts of foods that are rich in potassium and salt. High amounts of salt and lactic acid in the blood can invite more bites. Examples of such foods include dried fruit, avocados, and bananas.
- Pregnant Women: Numerous studies show that pregnant women are easier targets for mosquitos. The reason is the greater volume of carbon dioxide exhaled. Besides, expectant mothers also have higher body temperatures.
- Alcohol: Drinking alcohol causes the skin to produce certain types of chemicals that attract mosquitos. Besides, alcohol also increases body temperature.
- Blood Type: Interestingly, if you are of a certain blood type, you are likely to attract more bites than others. Studies show that those with type O blood draw mosquitos more readily.
Mosquito Control Measures
The right measures for mosquito spray will focus on not just killing adult female mosquitos, but also the eggs and larvae. These pests lay their eggs in still water and you can begin by removing access to standing water on or around your property. This can involve emptying flower pots, removing old tires, and unclogging gutters among others.
If the mosquito problem gets out of control, you should seek professional help. Knockout Mosquito Systems offers a wide range of control techniques to provide all-around protection from these pests. The services offered include:
The services focus on killing adult breeding mosquitos, killing larvae and eggs and treating the areas where they thrive, and preventing these pests from returning and breeding.
Mosquitos are attracted by many factors and conditions. It is best to seek professional assistance to stop the problem and prevent it from returning. This can require periodic mosquito spray for yard in Atlanta GA involving products that are safe for humans and pets. It is also important to take precautionary measures on your part to control the problem more effectively.
For more information about professional pest control company, it is recommended to contact Knockout Mosquito Systems at 478-334-5136.